Tuesday, January 05, 2010

I Honestly thought we moved to East Central Florida eleven years ago, really...but I swear the temps out side says differently. I know, I know, it gets way colder in other places, but when you live in a tropical area you tend to expect tropical temps. Twenty-seven degrees is pretty dang cold for my neck of the woods. It's damp here so that makes the cold that much more penetrating. We almost never turn on our heat, but maybe once or twice a year. My heat has been kicking on and off for the past three days and it is set at sixty-eight degrees. I have been walking around wrapped up like an Eskimo, yes I am a big baby when it comes to being cold. I hate it.


School starts on the eleventh and I am dreading it and that is not like me. I'm already worried about the heavy schedule I have chosen for myself. I am filled with self doubt after the terrible semester I just came out of. Not an "A" in sight last semester, I had all B's and I struggled for those B's. My GPA took a real hit and I have to get that back up there before I apply for nursing school. I can do it as long as work doesn't interfere and my husband doesn't get insecure again this semester like he did last semester. Our schedules are just crazy and we never get to see each when I am in school. It wears on you after a while and I'm going on my fourth semester with at least two more semester's ahead of me.

I am looking forward to one class though and if it is what my advisor said it is, then I will have a fitness slash nutrition class. I need to exercise and loose some weight. I just plan need to be more physically active. I am hoping it will boost my energy level. I get so tired very easily now. It's a bit scary and I am wondering if I might need to make a trip to a doctor. It's weird cause as soon as I eat, I get so tired start nodding off if I sit still to long. I did this in class a couple of times last semester. It was terrible, I would keep shifting around in my seat ,stretching my legs, drink some water, and taking deep breath to keep myself from nodding off. Still, that didn't work. One time I actually drifted off while taking notes. Thank God I had a tape recorder. I think I may have an issue with my blood pressure. Everything I learned in Anatomy points to me having high blood pressure and having a fitness class will really help if I do.

I have a full day today, my youngest son has a dentist appointment at 9:40. I have to call my husbands dentist because yesterday while at work he chipmunked out again on one side of his face. I believe he has an infection, no I know he has an infection, but from what? Today was my day off, but have been called in to work anyway, and I have to call the college support desk because once again they have locked me out of my account where I get all my grades, schedule and other important information. It happens at least 3 to 4 times a semester. Drives me insane because that is time spent that I could be doing something else important. It happened toward the end of last semester and I should have taken care of it then, but chose not to, so here I am in crunch time again doing what I do best.

Last night while at work, I had this huge line in front of me and a woman was next in line. She was thin as a rail, her face looked like it had been aged by drugs and her front teeth had the very tell-tell signs of a heavy meth user. I couldn't tell her age. She looked like she could be younger, but with the heavy drug use, who knew? She wanted cigs and some gas, so I carded her. She starts going off, "It's in the GOD DAMN car, I'm F_ _KING thirty-three years old! " Me, "You have to have your ID on you when you buy cigarettes mam and once I ask for it and know you don't have it on you, I can't sell it to you until I see it by law." Her, " Just give me the GOD DAMN gas for now. How much are the cigs any way?!" Me, " $5.95" Her, " Awe F_ _K that! I'll go some where else, just give me the DAMN gas!" Me, " How much do you need and what pump are you at?" Her, " I don't know....Give me $8.00 on ....I don't know what pump..the far one...( we have eight pumps and "the far one" could be any)...the white car." There were currently 3 white vehicles at the pumps, so I ask her, "what type of car mam, there are 3 other white vehicles out there and two are not yet pumping gas?" Her, " For F_ _ K's SAKE!" She steps back and looks out the door then says, "pump one!" Pump one is the closest pump, but I say nothing and set her pump. She hands me a twenty dollar bill and says, " Hurry up with my F _ _ KING change!" I'm trying to keep my cool here and go to hand her back her change and she grabs my hand along with her change and pulls real hard. I immediately reacted by grabbing on to her hand and pulling her toward the counter and saying, "Lady, do you realize that what you have just done is assaulted me in front all these people and now what I am doing is reacting in self defense, you better be glad I don't take this a step further. Don't EVER step foot in this store again or I will call the police on sight." I let go of her hand and she just looked at me. I pointed to the door and said,"NOW." she turns and sees all the people looking at her, my co-worker looking at me and at her and she leaves. Everyone thinks I am so sweet and nice. They don't realize I have it in me to stand my own ground. The next customer in line slapped his ID on the counter smiling and said, " All I need is is gas on pump 6. Here's a twenty and I don't want any change back." I laughed and said, " Then why are you still standing here holding my line up?" He said, "I was afraid to leave until you told me I could." Some customers are great and then you have the ones that make you wonder what the hell your doing working in a place like that. I know what I did was not professional. I also realize it was dangerous, but I also know that if you show fear in that job, your done for. I earn every dime of my paycheck and then some.

4 comments:

jnuts said...

as usual, wonderful entry. love the good and the bad. your strength and fortitude is one of the reasons I was hooked all those years ago. the gas story reminded me of that entry of mine a few years ago...dealing with an abusive and nasty woman. loved the story, hated that you had to deal with it. i swear, people who work in convenience marts or gas stations deserve hazard pay. truly!

damn, now I'm going to have to worry about your safety. how about some kind of bulletproof vest? that would make me feel better.

~Vital~ said...

Jock,

Actually I am fairly safe in that store. We have security at the touch of a button that can talk to me or the customers freely. The police department is right around the corner if needed and we have cameras through out the store, inside and out. Two or three times a day we check in with security just so that the customers know that they are there and watching. If I close, I always call security before I leave the store and they make sure I get in my car safely. It's manditory that we wear panick buttons at all times. It's as safe as you can get.

So, you don't have to worry, I wouldn't work there if I felt my life was in more danger than it would be in any other job.

I am touched by your concern, thank you.

Vital

jnuts said...

Sorry. I forget that not every city is the cesspool that Phoenix has become.

~Vital~ said...

Jock,

Palm Bay is getting pretty scary itself, believe me. We have at least 3 different gangs here, lot's of drug traffic and there's lot's of violent crimes here too. I just didn't want ya to worry about me. My mom won't even talk to me about my job because the thought of me working there scares her to death.

I am fairly safe, well as safe as you can get in that type of job. Beleive it or not the customers try and look out for us to. I have had several customers offer to stay if they see a customer starting to get out of hand.